In March 2020, dentists were asked to delay non-emergency care to limit the possibility of Coronavirus spread. However, by May 2020, a team of experts recommended the medical practitioners to resume their work of dental, orthodontic, and digital smile designing services after implementing appropriate protective measures such as-
- Pre-screening questionnaire to be filled by patients
- Giving appointments to fewer patients in a day
- Barring relatives of the patients from entering the clinic to prevent crowd gathering
- Checking the patient’s temperature
- Setting up a chair with ample space between them to ensure social distancing between patients
- Making it absolutely mandatory to wear a mask for the patients
- Doctors should be wearing protective equipment such as PPE kits, N-95 masks, etc
- Sterilizing the equipment after every use and washing hands after each patient visit
- Increasing ventilation in the clinic
- Getting rid of everyday things that people touch in waiting rooms such as magazines
A tidbit about the Coronavirus transmission:
Coronavirus spreads through the droplets that are spewed as people talk, cough, or breathe. People who inhale these tiny droplets by coming in contact with the infected people or the ones who touch their mouth, nose, or eyes after touching contaminated surfaces are exposed to the Coronavirus. It is a widely-known piece of information now, and even the best smile makeover dentist in Kolkata recommends you to pay heed to this.
Dentists work around the area that potentially transmits the most- your mouth. It is an unavoidable area during the treatment, so it poses a threat to both the doctor and the patient. The equipment used in dental treatment by the best smile makeover dentist in Kolkata and others worldwide produces tiny water droplets in air or aerosol that may be infected. Inhaling such droplets increases the risk of getting exposed to the virus and getting infected.
The doctors suggest that it is better to avoid visiting dental departments for non-urgent dental treatments. It not only minimizes one’s exposure to infection but also makes space for patients to need immediate care. So it is advised to make a detour to your dental clinic only when there is an emergency health issue.
What falls under the non-urgent treatment category?
Sometimes called elective procedures, these are some of the dental requirements that don’t affect your health in the short run and can be put off later.
- Teeth cleaning or examination
- Treatment for cavities
- Teeth removal or teeth whitening
- Checkup for braces
- Fixing cosmetic problems, including digital smile designing
What falls under the emergency treatment category?
Some problems that cause severe pain or pose a threat of life-threatening infections fall under this category.
- Persistent pain in the gums
- Non-stop bleeding
- Tissue that needs a biopsy
- Swollen areas in and around the mouth
- Broken teeth (from an accident) that cause tissue damage
- Post-surgery care that can only be done by a specialist
- Dental care related to cancer treatment
- Wires in the braces that hurt badly
- Trauma that affects your ability to breathe
Your dentist generally decides what is urgent and what is not binding, so it is better to consult your dentist over call and talk about the problem you are facing. After listening to you, the dentist can decide whether it is essential to give you an appointment or ask you to wait until later. Do not visit any dental clinic without booking an appointment. However, if there arises a need to visit the clinic of your dentist, make sure to inquire about things mentioned below-
The best smile makeover dentist in Kolkata enumerates a few things to know when visiting your dentist during Coronavirus:
Setting off to a dental specialist during Coronavirus evokes some sort of dread because social distancing and mask-wearing, the most significant moves one can make to forestall the Coronavirus spread, are inconceivable when you’re sitting on the patient seat in a dental clinic. So before your examination, it is essential to inquire about specific things to ensure your safety.
It is essential to know whether the dental clinic where you go for dental treatments or digital smile designing follows the guidelines laid out by the ADA and CDC. After getting the green light from the government, certain private clinics are avoiding the safety protocols, so it is better for your safety to check if the clinic you are visiting has not been neglecting safety measures.
Safety gears and sanitization
Dentists need to wear fully compliant PPE kits, face shields, etc. to treat patients. Even if you visit the best smile makeover clinic in Kolkata, make sure your doctor has taken necessary prevention and is sanitizing himself after each patient visit. Inquire whether the equipment is properly sterilized before being used on you as there is a high risk of them being infection carriers.
Social distancing norms
The clinic you are visiting should have patient seats with ample space between them in the waiting room to maintain social distancing. Do not visit any clinic that doesn’t maintain social distancing. It is also vital to know the number of patients your doctor is consulting every day. Dental practitioners should see fewer patients and allow for more time between each patient visit to maintain an environment that is safe for everybody.
No matter how many precautions you take, you will be exposed to the virus once you step out of your home. So here are some things you can do to minimize your chances of visiting a dentist:
How to take dental and oral healthcare at home?
One can surely maintain dental care at home by following these basic directions laid by the experts from the best smile makeover clinic in Kolkata:
- Consuming food that is either too hot or too cold can aggravate pain if you have sensitive teeth. To prevent excessive pain, keep a check on your diet as well as the food temperature.
- Avoid applying the pain relief balms available in the market topically because it can cause swelling of the gums.
- Brush your teeth twice every day. If you have sensitive teeth, go for those kinds of toothpaste available for tooth sensitivity. Using appropriate toothpaste can keep your infection under control.
- Consult the doctor online if you have a toothache. Take the medicines prescribed and if the pain persists, only then visit the doctor.
- Curtail your sugar intake and try to keep your sugar consumption to mealtimes only. It will reduce the duration for which your teeth are under attack.
- Use floss or interdental brushes for cleaning in between the teeth.
- Use a medicated mouthwash daily to keep fresh breath and removes terrible bacteria.
- Chew sugar-free gums as they help in producing saliva and neutralizing the plaque acids present in your mouth.